Future Black Mountain Families,
As the Principal of Black Mountain Middle School, I am delighted that you are interested in having your child attend our community of Black Mountain learners. As a Black Mountain parent, you will become a part of a community of caring and supportive educators that has your child’s best interest at the forefront of our mission. I look forward to welcoming you and your child to our BMMS Family.
I want to provide you with the most current information regarding our Academy. A parent information meeting was held in late 2022, during which families were informed that there will be a gradual phase out of the BMMS Academy beginning the 2023/24 school year.
Our current 6th grade class (23-24) will be the final cohort for the BMMS Academy (which will be promoted at the conclusion of the 2024/25 school year). There will not be any subsequent incoming 6th grade Academy cohort beginning the 2023-2024 school year or the successive years.
The following factors were provided to the community for the decision to move forward with the phase out of the Academy;
- Reduced amounts of donations have resulted in a scaled back version of the Academy experience from what it once was intended, over the past several years
- Decreased number of students applying to the Academy
- A “school within a school” model severely impacts staffing, schedules, and overall elective offerings.
- Equity concerns that have occurred around Academy when families who can’t afford the cost of enrollment or who rely on PUSD transportation are not able to access the Academy.
- Sustainability of the program is dependent on parent donations which, despite attempts to collect more, has become more challenging for families to provide.
Black Mountain will continue to offer a world class education for all of our students. Our dedicated educators are committed to providing a rich learning experience for each and everyone one of students.
As Black Mountain Middle School continues to move forward in designing improvements for the overall student experience, the feedback and input from our families is vital. If you have any questions or concerns, please assist us with your feedback by clicking on this link and providing your questions.
Thank you for your understanding and partnership as we work to support each and every student at Black Mountain Middle School.
Darcel Glover Principal
You must be logged in to post a comment.